Saturday, June 13, 2009

Flannel Pajama Quilt

When my son was a toddler, my mother-in-law began making flannel pajamas for him. He received a handmade pair or two every Christmas. As he outgrew them, I did not want to get rid of them because of the sentimental value. She made them for him until just a few years ago. He is 14 now. One day, after coming across a large bag of the pajamas, I decided to make something out of them. I made a quilt and pillow for my son and I made a pillow to give to his Grandmother. I used all of the pajamas by cutting the material into squares. I used an old Pokemon quilt, that he loved for several years, as the back of the quilt. I had fun making it. It was my first quilt project and it is not perfect. I hope my son will cherish it as a reminder of both his Grandmother and me and the love we have for him.


2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet that it gave me goosebumps. What a beautiful idea.

    Years ago my late aunt gave me a tattered old quilt that my grandmother made when she was pregnant with my fater. My aunt pointed out the red & white polkadot fabric pieces- they were from one of her favorite dresses.

    Just think how your son's children will cherish this blanket, not to mention your son. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great idea! and it looks fantastic! I've been trying to find a use for the kids pjs, I'm making G a skirt from some at the moment and I'm thinking about making them some unique patchwork curtains, they don't have the wonderful nostalgic value as your sons pjs do but i just cant throw anything away...

    ReplyDelete